Sunday, March 15, 2009

I have to remember these times...

I home school my kids. I know, I'm crazy. I'm honest with people and when I tell them it is not easy, and yes there are days when I wish that big yellow school bus was coming! Every year, about this time, I start to get nervous. I wonder if I covered enough, if my kids are doing okay academically, and I consider if I should put them in public school. Every year so far I have decided to continue homeschooling and the lifestyle we lead because of it. And so far, every year when I have prayed if I should continue to home school, I continue to feel I should.



So once again I have come to that part of the year where I wonder if I am doing things right. One thing that I've learned I need to do is go back and look how far my kids have come in the year and look at all that we have done. I'm still flirting with the idea of whether to maybe put Kacie in public school now, haven't yet decided or prayed about my decision (though I feel I'm leaning toward continuing her education here at home). One thing that helps give me confidence in our decision to home school is days like this...



The kids got up, ate breakfast, did some chores. We got our schoolwork done, even Jessie. (Jessie gets excited to take out her preschool book, cut things and color). We read a book about the Mayflower and colonial times that Kacie and Logan were both very into it! We then ate a quick lunch and headed to a home school group PE "class". We went to the local skating rink. It was Jessie's first time she tried rollerskating and she did pretty good. Logan was so proud to have gotten as fast as the "teenagers". Kacie had a hard time improving on her skates, (she's very cautious and always has been). She doesn't take the risk needed to get better faster for fear of falling down. But I admired her persistence. For two hours straight she skated slowly around the rink, not even bothering to goof around with friends. I could see her mumbling the words "glide, glide". She took a break and sat by me. She asked me how Logan got good so fast. I explained the"grrr"factor to her, so she got back up with more courage and kept trying. She had improved a lot by the time we left. She knows how it feels to do it right and was so excited she finally got it. I was excited she never gave up.



As we drove in the van the kids wanted to sing along to our primary CD, one song in particular over and over--"How firm a foundation". I thought then, "How awesome is this?!"

2 comments:

jessica said...

I think being able to homeschool your kids is a talent. I seriously think it is a gift you are blessed with. You clearly are doing a great job, and by being so prayerful you will know when to stop or if you should stop.

I'm sure your kids don't get it quite yet, but they are blessed to have such a dedicated mom!

jillybean said...

Way to go. I thought a lot about home school and decided public school was best for Lydia, but now that Kindergarten is almost over I am 100% sure I could have taught her what she learned there and more. Also all my worst fears about sending my children to public school have come true.