Sunday, May 24, 2009

Berry Busy

I realized it has been over a month since the last post. We have been busy with many things I guess: school, an airshow at the beach, soccer (4 games a week), and our garden (and I'm not sure all what else but time has flown). We have a strawberry patch, not very big. We added more plants to it this year so next year we will have more strawberries. For the last couple of years, I never had any because the kids went out and picked and ate them all as they played in the yard. This year we are coming out of the drought and what a difference it has made! We have strawberries coming out of our ears! I picked a large bowl the first night and this is the next nights picking! Holy Strawberries Batman! (okay, enough exclamation marks). We got another large bowl every other day or so. This went on for a couple of weeks. The kids couldn't eat all of them this year so we have lots in the freezer. I wonder how next year will be with twice the size of the strawberry patch! We've made strawberry jam, strawberry shortcakes, strawberry pie, ate strawberries on many things, and gave away strawberries. We got strawberried out.

Blueberries will be ready soon.

6 comments:

Brandy said...

Well darn...I wish we were still neighbors! Strawberries are my favorite fruit. We would love to help eat some. That is awesome that you are getting such a great harvest this year. Your kids will have great memories of picking and eating strawberries. Mine memories are from the raspberry patch...good times.

Jim Jiminy said...

Too many strawberries? I call that a good problem to have.

jessica said...

I would take some of those strawberries off your hands in heartbeat if you lived closer.

amy said...

Those look so yummy!! It's so much fun to grow a garden and get to eat the "fruits" of our labors. I can't wait to see how many blueberries you get.

jillybean said...

What kind of strawberries are they? I want some.

Neely Fam Page said...

Yum yum!!