
P.O.T.S.
Here's an update: I spent the whole day at the hospital for tests. We had friends graciously accept to watch our 3 munchkins so Chad could come with me. (The hospital said after the tilt table test I may need a driver). I had an MRI of my back, CT Scan of my head and 2 x-rays.
I had no idea of what to expect for the tilt table; I envisioned being strapped to a machine and hanging by my feet. They hooked up an EKG to me, had a cardiologist there to keep track of blood pressure and heartbeat. They put me on a table, at a 60 degree angle to see what happens. The angle is not quite upright so it really tests your body's ability to deal with a change in position, since it is in between lying down and standing up. Normally your brain controls your pressure and regulates it for the new position. I soon felt like I wanted to sit down and I started going pale...I was feeling dizzy. Failed that test. Next, they shoot some meds in an IV to get your heart beating like it would after a hard workout; I didn't do too bad on that. Then they put nitroglycerin under my tongue to test it and my smooth muscles used in circulation (if I understand that right). My blood pressure soon plummeted so he put me down flat. Failed that one with flying colors. It felt kind of weird having the cardiologist, nurse and Chad stare at me and keep asking how I felt....uhh, like sitting down before I pass out. But I think I compensate well when I feel that way, I've got how to beat it daily almost down to a science! I wonder if Chad feels bad for mocking me as a fainter....Chad?
So what I do know so far is I do have POTS (besides the ones in my kitchen :), which is evidence I have the pressure on my brain stem and spinal cord and it is affecting my automatic functions. Now I understand my passing out after child birth! I'm glad Chad was there to drive me home, I didn't feel very steady after it. 1 more step on my path of discovery of answers.
1 comment:
Those are some crazy tests. I'm so glad Chad was there. Even if you felt okay afterwards, the idea of taking any part in medical tests would be unnerving and I would insist on Aric being there!
Well at least now you know you shouldn't stand at 60 degrees :)
Post a Comment